Samuel Richard and Georgia Lacy
Williams Mission Center
Main Street Church has always been involved in the total life of this community, offering its facilities for usage since the 1923 structure on Hill Street. When the congregation moved in 1974, provisions were made to accommodate additional construction to the building.
In 2005, under the leadership of Pastor James Harrison, a fund-raising project “Faith Walk” was launched to begin funding for a multi-purpose addition which would be named in honor of Rev. & Mrs. S. R. Williams who served the congregation for 45 years.
The original concept for the facility was to erect a center on church property to include Educational Space – expanding our capacity to do educational programming, child day care, before and after school programs for church and community pre-school and school age children; Recreational Space- (Gymnasium) allowing space for church and community to do organized sporting events, distribution point for of the USDA commodities, health screenings and fairs, as well as, other community events requiring such a facility; Banquet Space- providing for a facility to host community banquet functions; and Administrative Space- to provide an ample area to conduct the administration of volunteer community affairs. The Mission Center will provide much needed space to sponsor a holistic approach to ministry while we earnestly work at meeting contemporary needs, and taking on the community’s ongoing challenges.
Members of Main Street enthusiastically embraced this project and the initial three-year funding program proved to be successful. The ground breaking ceremony was held in July 2010. R. D. Lambert & Son of Chesapeake served as general contractor. Members and friends of Main Street also contribute many hours of volunteer service and God blessed us to host more than 385 worshippers in the first service at the center on April 20, 2014. To God Be The Glory!